We started out normal class schedule this week for the content classes we'll be taking. This means, no more boring intensive Spanish! My other classes are still of course in Spanish. I have one called "Colloquial Spanish" where I will apparently learn how to send a text message in Spanish slang and abbreviations (haha), and then three others: Spanish and EU Law, Literature and Women in Spain, and Politics and Terrorism (with an extremely attractive professor which makes the class quite interesting). I am really excited about all of them and they seem really interesting, however dorky that sounds. Unfortunately at the end of the semester I have some really long papers to write. They wouldn't seem long in English, but 10 pages (1.5 space) in Spanish is not going to be too fun.
I got a big surprise yesterday when I received a huge package from my aunt and uncle. They sent me a HUGE tin of popcorn from The Popcorn Factory. Everyone was quite jealous about my present, but there is A LOT of popcorn, so I can definitely share. =) I took it to my home stay to offer some to them and they were just really confused why anyone would have this quantity of popcorn and didn't want any. haha It's alright; I'll enjoy the popcorn while they eat the lentils and asparagus. Nonetheless, this definitely made my day!
In other news, there is a program here they call "intercambios" which is basically forced interaction with Spanish students in one of our professors other classes. Nonetheless, it's really fun and we've been hanging out more with Spanish people, which is always good for practicing the language, although many of them try to speak English. We had to learn 10 "slang" phrases or words and they helped us out with that and we're planning to go for coffee next week. The girls I was partnered with seem really nice. =)
I went to a museum yesterday in downtown Alicante which was supposedly named the best museum in Europe in 2004. Although it was interesting at some points, it was all in Spanish which was challenging with this specific vocab, and I just ended up getting distracted a lot. It's an archeology museum which tells the story of Alicante's history from the time of Neanderthal humans to modern times (the Iberics, the Romans, the Arabs, the Christian reconquering). We are going to another museum next week so maybe I will like that one more.
I'm leaving for Barcelona/Italy in less than a week now and I am super excited! I'm going to be in Barcelona with Colleen for 3 nights/2 days and I'm hoping I get to go visit the Dali museum. That guy is awesome/intriguing/interesting/insane, so I really hope I get there (it's actually an 1 1/2 hour outside Barcelona by train). Check this out if you don't know anything about Dali: http://www.salvador-dali.org/dali/en_index.html. In Italy, we are going to get to see other Georgetown students when we go to Florence and I'm going to go check out the Leaning Tower, among many other things! I feel so lucky and blessed to have this opportunity!
This week should otherwise go by quickly. We have class, but really don't have any homework yet so I barely know what to do with my free time. Today I decided to utilize it by sleeping until 2pm and then taking a 2 hour siesta after la comida (the lunch at 2:30pm). =) I think this schedule is alright with me. I have a lot of travel planning to do still (buy our train tickets in Italy, reserve our hostels) so that is one time-consuming thing to get accomplished.
Hope everything is well with everyone! Write me if you're in the mood!
C/o Francisco Diez
Oficina CIEE
Aulario II
Universidad de Alicante
San Vicente del Raspeig
03690 - Alicante, Spain
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Sarah,
It sounds like you are having a blast. You will have to let us know how you like Italy - we think that is our next destination.
Enjoy the popcorn. We are glad it got to you on time.
Love,
Aunt Barb
Post a Comment