Things are still going well. In my quest to find free WIFI I have been going to a nearby parque/plaza where I can sit on a bench and steal someone's internet that isn't secure. The problem is that there are 100s of children in this park and they are all generally quite intrigued by my laptop since most of them apparently haven't seen one before. There are three girls that are about 6-10 who are always there and always chat with me, and they're fun. Unfortunately there are also some 10 year old boys that shot me with a little fake BB gun and scream in my ear. Nonetheless, it makes for some interesting interactions and the last time they were there they asked me to play music and they were all dancing around me. As much as I find it amusing, when I need to get some homework done it is not the most productive place to go.
Last week I booked my flights for two trips that I am very excited about. We have a week-long fall break in the beginning of October and I will be going to visit Colleen in Barcelona and then to Italy for a week! I'm starting in Pisa and then going to Florence (the Villa!) and Venice for three days each. We also found a 26Euro (about $32) round trip flight to Paris in December so we're going there for a weekend! I really like this traveling in Europe thing... I'm also looking to go to either London, Sweden or Amsterdam for another weekend we have free. =)
The city of Alicante is centered around this huge old castle that was built by the Arabs when they invaded Spain. It sits just next to the ocean and it is really beautiful. Our group of students all had the chance to climb it with a guide last week and it was amazing, although by the time I got to the top I was exhausted. Here are some pictures:
This past weekend it rained A LOT. Everyone told us "It never rains in Alicante!" but what did it do all Friday evening and all of Saturday until about 10pm but rain. This of course meant no beach this weekend sadly and I think I'm losing a bit of my nice tan. Friday was actually hilarious when the downpour started. I was walking with one of my good friends here, Rachelle who is also from Georgetown, and we were shoe shopping. At the point we were ready to leave it really looked like a monsoon outside so the store owners kindly offered us garbage bags and plastic bags to wear and put over our clothes and heads. Thank god we had them! We had a good 10 minute walk to get back to Rachelle's house and we would have otherwise been as wet as if we had jumped in a pool. We looked hilarious and all of these espanoles were laughing and pointing at us, but it certainly paid off. We have a picture somewhere so I'll have to put it here later. I spent that night hanging out with Rachelle and her family (who happen to be awesome) and we watched a movie together. Although that was fun, I want to get back to the beach this week!
Saturday night, when it finally stopped raining, I went out for a bit of traditional Spanish nightlife. We actually stayed up dancing ALL night and went for breakfast in the morning at 7am when we were on our way home. It is customary that people go for churros and chocolate in the morning after a night out here in Spain. Look it up if you are unsure what it is. We were so excited to finally live the tradition and it was delicious! This of course means I slept almost all of Sunday...
Unfortunately, I have my final tomorrow for my intensive Spanish class so I will be glad when that is over. I'm currently procrastinating studying by writing this blog entry. I have an A or A- average right now I believe so I'm not stressing over it. =)
I hope all is well in the States. Leave me some comments por favor!
1 comment:
Sarah the pictures are beautiful
Love Mom
Post a Comment